On Saturday night, 22 December, just before 9PM, officers who were out on high visibility patrols in the business areas, were alerted by a member of a George Town Business Watch of a suspicious male and provided description of said male to the police.
Officers on duty were able to locate the 22-year-old-man of West Bay and whilst conducting a search of his person and his vehicle, found a machete in the vehicle and arrested the man on suspicion of possession of a restricted weapon at night.
The man was later bailed while the investigation progresses.
Chief Inspector Malcolm Kay in charge of Service Delivery states “This particular incident just shows what can be achieved through close working with the community and community watch groups. Officers have been and will continue to be out in numbers during the festive period in order to provide additional crime reduction and reassurance patrols and we are encouraging the community to continue to be vigilant and feed information into the police as soon as they see something that they believe to be suspicious or unlawful.”
The RCIPS would also like to encourage the public to consider these preventative measures that may assist in ensuring that you have a safe and crime free holidays. Below are some crime prevention tips for the holidays:
- Remember lock your doors both interior and exterior, especially when leaving home
- Review your CCTV and make sure that they are working well and that the lenses are clean and are not being obstructed by anything e.g. Christmas decorations.
- Ensure that your property is well lit at night.
- Ensure that you remove your valuables from your vehicles including cash and coins.
- If you are the owner of a business that will be working extra hour and expected to have high traffic, hire extra security and make additional cash drop offs throughout the day to ensure that all the cash for the day does not remain overnight.
- Remember that the following days are holiday and banks will be closed. Make preparations to secure your cash at the end of your business day.
The RCIPS will also be making road safety efforts throughout the holiday season and encourage everyone to take care whilst enjoying their holiday festivities by not drinking and driving. Remember that the designated driver’s bus service will be available at your disposal and the Purple Ribbon Bus will be out on New Year’s Eve.