Non Emergency+1 (345) 949-4222

Warning For a better experience on RCIPS, UPDATE YOUR BROWSER.
    watch this space for latest news alerts.

In addition to policing, the RCIPS is responsible for important recordkeeping and regulatory duties. These duties require substantial administration, which is carried out by several different offices throughout the organization. Chief among these is the RCIPS Business Centre in Windjammer Plaza on Walkers Road in George Town, which houses both the Criminal Records Office and the Security & Licensing Unit. Several of the forms and applications on this site are processed at this location. While the Centre is the main public-facing administrative location with the organization, it is not the only office responsible for maintaining and processing applications and documents. These tasks are also carried out in part by the Data Quality/Crime Analysis Unit and the Chief of Staff Office, depending on the request.

With the launch of this website, all forms and applications administered by the RCIPS are available for submission online for the first time. While in-person visits to the RCIPS Business Centre may still be necessary to pick up a document or make a payment, the number of visits and amount of time spent doing so should be substantially reduced. Each form is prefaced by brief instructions that inform applicants of the timeframes and fees they can expect during the process, as well as what their next step should be after clicking “Submit”.

By far the most in-demand document the RCIPS generates is the Police Clearance Certificate. Thanks to an initiative through the e-Government Unit in the CIG Cabinet Office, these certificates can now be applied for and paid completely online, necessitating a trip to the Business Centre only to pick up the certificate itself.

The below Frequently Asked Questions encompass some of the most common questions the RCIPS Business Centre receives. Questions not answered here can be referred to 945-4924.

You should have been residing in the Cayman Islands for at least three months  on a work permit or six months as a visitor before applying for a clearance certificate. If you have been in the Cayman Islands for less than three months, it may still be possible to apply for and receive a clearance certificate with permission from Immigration. It would be necesssary to go to the Immigration Office on Elgin Avenue to enquire.

At present you must submit your application online and pay the required fee through the CIG e-government portal. Depending on the purpose of the PCC or the method of collection chosen at the time of submission, the PCC can be emailed to individuals, or directly to one of the government entities listed on the application, or a physical copy can be sent by domestic registered mail. There is no longer any in-person pick up option available.

No, a clearance certificate is not required for the renewal of Cayman Islands passport. Please contact the passport office for further instructions on how to renew your passport.

PCC turnaround time is now ten (10) business days.  We encourage individuals to submit their application well in advance to ensure timely processing of PCC’s to meet deadlines.

The clearances are valid for three months from the date the certificate is generated.  If traveling on a visa waiver, however, the clearance certificate is only valid for one trip.

There is no longer any in-person pick up option available for police clearance certificates.  However, you may be able to apply online on another person's behalf.

All persons or entities who operate in the security industry, as a security guard, a security technician, or corporate entity (business). 

No, you can only work for the employer who applied for your license.  The only exception is if you have been licensed as an independent guard.

Business, Security and Technician’s Licenses are valid for one year.

You must have no criminal convictions, no history of violence, and good character references, in order to be considered for a firearm license.

Licenses are granted primarily for hunting, vermin control or sport shooting.

If your intended use falls outside of this categories, please contact the Security and Firearms Licensing Unit at 945-4924 to enquire further.

Under the Firearms Law a 'restricted person' would be prohibited from getting a firearm license.

A 'restricted person' is any person who has served a prison term for 3 months or more, and has been released within the past 5 years.

According to the Firearms Law, no license shall be granted to any person who is of intemperate habits, liable to fits of uncontrolled temper. notoriously careless in the use of firearms or of unsound mind: or is for any reason unfit to be entrusted with a firearm.

The appropriate authority for the grant of a firearm license is the Commissioner of Police. in his absolute discretion. 

With the establishment of the Office of the Ombudsman in 2017, complaints about police officers are now referred directly to the Ombudsman in accordance with The Police (Complaints by the Public) Law 2017. Complaints against officers can be filed at local police stations for direct referral to the Ombudsman's office, or filed online through the website of the Office of the Ombudsman.

If you have feedback you would like the management of the RCIPS to know, you can send us this information via this website and Police Headquarters will respond to you, if you wish. If you would rather remain anonymous but still wish to provide feedback to the organization, you can use the Submit a Tip button on the home page, and the information and observations you provide will be routed to Headquarters.

Requests for information under the Freedom of Information Law must be made in writing (by post, fax or email to foi.pol@gov.ky). It is required that you include your name, and provide an address for correspondence (which may be an email address), and describe in as much detail as possible the information requested and include the form of access preferred. 
The Office of the Ombudsman provides guidelines on how to submit proper requests on its website. Further information regarding FOI requests to the RCIPS can be found here.