The RCIPS FCU is advising the public of an ongoing online scam conducted using Facebook Messenger and possibly other social media, where victims have received text messages and phone calls through Facebook Messenger.
These calls and text messages appeared to be from the following persons.
1. Mr. Bernie Bush
2. Mr. McKeeva Bush
3. Ms. Juliana O’Connor-Connolly
The victims received flyers and other information informing them that they have been selected to receive a US $50,000.00 grant from the United Nation Democratic Fund (UNDF).
The victims are further instructed that in order to receive the grant they have to send money ranging from US $150-$750, for government processing fees and shipping fees.
Victims are further instructed to send money via Western Union (to recipients under various names) and then to send the Western Union receipts via Facebook messenger along with a copy of the victim’s ID.
The RCIPS would like to make clear that this is an ongoing online scam and that there is no such facility offering such a grant to Caymanians.
As such the public is advised:
- Not to accept any friend requests from strangers.
- Not to click unknown links offering financial grants, namely from websites such as www.facebook.com/cashgrantonline.
- Not to send your personal information, a copy of your Passport or any other method of identification to anyone online.
- To change your Facebook privacy settings so that your activity can only be seen by yourself or your friends.
- NEVER to send money to strangers you met online.
“We have seen a significant increase in these types of online scams in the Cayman Islands, or targeting locals, in recent months,” said Detective Chief Inspector Richard Barrow. “As such, it is more important than ever for people to remain aware and take all necessary precautions when using social media.”
If at any time you think that your online information has been compromised, or if you have received such a request, contact the RCIPS FCU at RCIPS.FCU@gov.ky. The FCU can also be contacted via phone at 949-8797.