The RCIPS is informing the public about the following road closures taking place over the next two weekends in order to facilitate events for Cayman Carnival Batabano.
Friday Night Fete:
Friday, 3 May – 6:30PM to 3:30AM
- Harbour Drive will be closed between Shedden Road and Fort Street (with access to the Port Authority entrance for Port staff).
- Cardinall Avenue will be closed just west of the junction with Albert Panton Street.
Batabano Food Festival:
Saturday, 4 May – 8:00AM to 12:00AM
- Albert Panton Street will be closed.
Adult Batabano Parade:
Saturday, 4 May – 12:00PM to 6:00PM
- West Bay Road will be closed between the junction of the Esterley Tibbets Highway and Duke’s restaurant from 12:00PM. Only local access will be granted north of Lime Tree Bay Avenue during this time.
- The parade will proceed south along West Bay Road from 1:00PM and road junctions will be closed ahead of the parade as it proceeds.
- As the procession passes closed junctions, these will be re-opened to afford motorists the use of the road to the rear of the procession.
- The procession will continue past North Church Street, onto Harbour Drive, turn onto Fort Street, then onto Edward Street, and will end on Cardinall Avenue.
- Note: The Your Choice Campaign has partnered with the National Drug Council and Websters Tours to provide free bus transportation for persons participating in the Batabano Parade and Last Lap Fete on Saturday, 4 May. The buses will leave from the George Town Town Hall at 12:30AM and provide transportation to West Bay and the Eastern Districts.
Batabano Last Lap Fete:
Saturday, 5 May – 5:30PM to 12:00AM
- In addition to Albert Panton Street, Harbour Drive and South Church Street will be closed between Boilers Road and Fort Street (with access to the Port Authority entrance for Port staff).
- Cardinall Avenue will also be closed.
Junior Batabano Parade:
Saturday, 11 May – 1:30PM to 6:30PM
- Elgin Avenue will be closed between Hospital Road and Claude Hill Road (formerly Humber Lane) from 1:30PM until 6:30PM.
- The parade begins at 3:00PM and travels west from the old Glass House on Elgin Avenue, turns left onto Shedden Road, right onto Harbour Drive, right onto Fort Street, right onto Edward Street, then continues onto Elgin Avenue and finishes back at the old Glass House.
- Officers will be closing sections of these roads ahead of the parade and reopening them once the parade passes. Motorists are asked to exercise caution in these areas on Saturday evening.